IGSNRR OpenIR
Monitoring Recent Fluctuations of the Southern Pool of Lake Chad Using Multiple Remote Sensing Data: Implications for Water Balance Analysis
Zhu, Wenbin1,2; Yan, Jiabao1,2; Jia, Shaofeng1,2
2017-10-01
Source PublicationREMOTE SENSING
ISSN2072-4292
Volume9Issue:10Pages:26
Corresponding AuthorJia, Shaofeng(jiasf@igsnrr.ac.cn)
AbstractThe drought episodes in the second half of the 20th century have profoundly modified the state of Lake Chad and investigation of its variations is necessary under the new circumstances. Multiple remote sensing observations were used in this paper to study its variation in the recent 25 years. Unlike previous studies, only the southern pool of Lake Chad (SPLC) was selected as our study area, because it is the only permanent open water area after the serious lake recession in 1973-1975. Four satellite altimetry products were used for water level retrieval and 904 Landsat TM/ETM+ images were used for lake surface area extraction. Based on the water level (L) and surface area (A) retrieved (with coinciding dates), linear regression method was used to retrieve the SPLC's L-A curve, which was then integrated to estimate water volume variations (DV). The results show that the SPLC has been in a relatively stable phase, with a slight increasing trend from 1992 to 2016. On annual average scale, the increase rate of water level, surface area and water volume is 0.5 cm year(-1), 0.14 km(2) year(-1) and 0.007 km(3) year(-1), respectively. As for the intra-annual variations of the SPLC, the seasonal variation amplitude of water level, lake area and water volume is 1.38 m, 38.08 km(2) and 2.00 km(3), respectively. The scatterplots between precipitation and D V indicate that there is a time lag of about one to two months in the response of water volume variations to precipitation, which makes it possible for us to predict D V. The water balance of the SPLC is significantly different from that of the entire Lake Chad. While evaporation accounts for 96% of the lake's total water losses, only 16% of the SPLC's losses are consumed by evaporation, with the other 84% offset by outflow.
Keywordwater level water surface area water volume variations water balance remote sensing Lake Chad
DOI10.3390/rs9101032
WOS KeywordSATELLITE ALTIMETRY ; VOLUME VARIATIONS ; TIME-SERIES ; BASIN ; LANDSAT ; DYNAMICS ; IMAGERY ; AFRICA ; REGION ; GRACE
Indexed BySCI
Language英语
Funding ProjectNational Key Research and Development Program of China[2016YFC0401307] ; PowerChina International Limited
Funding OrganizationNational Key Research and Development Program of China ; PowerChina International Limited
WOS Research AreaRemote Sensing
WOS SubjectRemote Sensing
WOS IDWOS:000414650600062
PublisherMDPI AG
Citation statistics
Cited Times:2[WOS]   [WOS Record]     [Related Records in WOS]
Document Type期刊论文
Identifierhttp://ir.igsnrr.ac.cn/handle/311030/61097
Collection中国科学院地理科学与资源研究所
Corresponding AuthorJia, Shaofeng
Affiliation1.Chinese Acad Sci, Key Lab Water Cycle & Related Land Surface Proc, Beijing 100101, Peoples R China
2.Chinese Acad Sci, Inst Geog Sci & Nat Resources Res, Beijing 100101, Peoples R China
Recommended Citation
GB/T 7714
Zhu, Wenbin,Yan, Jiabao,Jia, Shaofeng. Monitoring Recent Fluctuations of the Southern Pool of Lake Chad Using Multiple Remote Sensing Data: Implications for Water Balance Analysis[J]. REMOTE SENSING,2017,9(10):26.
APA Zhu, Wenbin,Yan, Jiabao,&Jia, Shaofeng.(2017).Monitoring Recent Fluctuations of the Southern Pool of Lake Chad Using Multiple Remote Sensing Data: Implications for Water Balance Analysis.REMOTE SENSING,9(10),26.
MLA Zhu, Wenbin,et al."Monitoring Recent Fluctuations of the Southern Pool of Lake Chad Using Multiple Remote Sensing Data: Implications for Water Balance Analysis".REMOTE SENSING 9.10(2017):26.
Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Related Services
Recommend this item
Bookmark
Usage statistics
Export to Endnote
Google Scholar
Similar articles in Google Scholar
[Zhu, Wenbin]'s Articles
[Yan, Jiabao]'s Articles
[Jia, Shaofeng]'s Articles
Baidu academic
Similar articles in Baidu academic
[Zhu, Wenbin]'s Articles
[Yan, Jiabao]'s Articles
[Jia, Shaofeng]'s Articles
Bing Scholar
Similar articles in Bing Scholar
[Zhu, Wenbin]'s Articles
[Yan, Jiabao]'s Articles
[Jia, Shaofeng]'s Articles
Terms of Use
No data!
Social Bookmark/Share
All comments (0)
No comment.
 

Items in the repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.